home meet the chef Services and Pricing Sample Menus blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

This Week's Vegetable Challenge



We have a new Saturday farmer's market in Brookhaven and I checked it out this past weekend. Loved it! It was small, about 15 vendors, but there was an abundance of fresh vegetables, a couple of bakers, an ice cream vendor, and more. And I love
having the market in our neighborhood....another reason I love living in Brookhaven. The market is on Dresden Drive in the parking lot behind Haven.


I came home with quite a load and we've been enjoying lots of tomatoes all week.


Yesterday, I got my weekly CSA box from Moore Farms and I'm presented with a couple of challenges. One item included was "ground cherries". They're the ones that look like a small, yellow tomatillo, on the right in the picture below. The taste is sweet but also nutty so I'm thinking of coming up with a sauce for pasta, maybe along the consistency of pesto. Should be interesting....can't wait to try it!


I also have a squash challenge on my hands. I have all these lovely squashes that are crying out to me to be prepared in some yummy way but my husband doesn't like squash! Maybe I'll find a neighbor to share with. A friend also gave us some fresh corn from a garden in North Georgia. I wish you could smell this corn! It is so fresh, and the best we've had this summer...so delicious, can't say enough about how good it is.

We have so many vegetables in the house! Tonight's dinner is definitely going to be a vegetable plate with fresh made cornbread...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment