home meet the chef Services and Pricing Sample Menus blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mac and Cheese with Sausage

Last night's dinner was total comfort food. And total "clean out the refrigerator/pantry" food. I very often don't use recipes to cook, just see what I have on hand and make up something. Last night it was Mac and Cheese with Sausage. But not just any sausage. Read on. My husband and I never really made it to the table with this one, just stood around the island eating.


I made Mac and Cheese with items I had on hand: Penne Pasta, milk, cheese, a little sour cream. First, I cooked the noodles. Then I cooked the sausage, crumbling it as I went and mixed it together with the cheese/cream sauce. After I poured everything into a casserole, I grated fresh cheddar cheese for the top. Try to grate your cheese fresh every time. I know, it takes longer, but the stuff you buy in the bag that's already grated has something I can't pronounce added to keep it from clumping. Just do it.



But the star: Neese's Sausage. I've told you my husband is from Greensboro, NC. As with every region in the country, there is something special that you can only find in certain parts. Neese's Sausage is made in Greensboro and I've had it when visiting there. We usually stop by the Food Lion on the way home and get several packs.

We had our Holiday family get together here a couple weeks ago (yes, late, but fun nevertheless with relatives from North Carolina). I asked them to bring a care package of items from North Carolina, including several packages of this sausage. One version has "extra sage" that I haven't used yet. I'm waiting to find the right recipe for that one.

Look closely at the Neese's Sausage label and read the ingredients. Pork, salt, spices, sugar. That's it. No chemicals or anything else you can't pronounce. It's good stuff!



After everything was assembled, I cooked the casserole at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes covered, then uncovered for about 15 minutes longer, until bubbly and golden. It was really good. You could also use turkey sausage if you wanted. But I had the Neese's and wanted to use it. I have two more packs in the freezer, saving for a new inspiration. Did I say this was really good?

No comments:

Post a Comment