home meet the chef Services and Pricing Sample Menus blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pommes Anna

I'm going to Paris in October and have been obsessed with trying recipes and reading French cookbooks. I had extra potatoes this week and made Potatoes Anna. I used my mandoline to slice the potatoes thinly (using the guard of course!) The mandoline is a great tool and perfect for potatoes.

I have a wonderful collection of well-seasoned cast iron pans and one of them worked great for this recipe. I began by painting the bottom with softened butter.

Then you just start layering the potatoes, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper and butter as you go. You use 1/2 stick of butter for the whole dish....not too bad! I did improvise a bit....I had leeks left over from another recipe so I added a layer of leeks.

You start by browning the bottom layer in the cast iron skillet before you put the potatoes into the oven to finish baking. This gives you the nice crispy crust when you remove them and invert onto a plate. Then you place another heavy iron pan on top so it gets "smushed" and makes a nice slice.




You finish by baking in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.

This was really simple and delicious! I'll definitely make this again. And I'll be looking for Pommes Anna on menus when I get to Paris.


No comments:

Post a Comment