home meet the chef Services and Pricing Sample Menus blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Black Bean Cakes


I have what seems about a million recipes. I pull them from everywhere: magazines, newspapers, the Internet. And somehow I remember what kind of paper the recipe is printed on, so when I'm looking for a recipe, I know what I'm looking for. Like, "oh, that one is on a scrap of paper written in my mom's handwriting". Weird.

Anyway, this one I pulled from the Atlanta paper several years ago. Black Bean Cakes from Vickery's restaurant. I made them to go with pulled pork tacos. You'll need fresh peppers, red onion, seasonings, and of course, black beans. They're good as a side or can also be made bigger as a black bean burger. Yum!

Look at the beautiful color of this red onion....only from nature.

For the recipe, you'll chop the vegetables and combine all the ingredients, then make into cakes.


Here's the final product, served with fresh salsa and sour cream along with the pulled pork tacos. Enjoy!

Vickery's Black Bean Cakes
Makes 8 Servings

4 cups cooked black beans, well-drained
2 tablespoons liquid mojo seasoning
1 egg
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2-3 cups bread crumbs

Combine beans, mojo, egg, bell peppers, onion and chili powder. Add 2 cups bread crumbs. Mix until almost dry to the touch, adding more bread crumbs if needed. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Form into cakes, saute in small amount of vegetable oil about 4 minutes per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment