home meet the chef Services and Pricing Sample Menus blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Strawberry Jam

I had some strawberries leftover from a party and I didn't want them to go bad before we could eat them. So, yesterday I made strawberry jam.


I have a bottle of Agave nectar that I wanted to experiment with, instead of using sugar. The nectar from the Agave plant has been used for years to make tequila and is also used to make a great sweetener. The nectar is considered to be one of the healthiest, all-natural sweeteners available and can be used to replace sugar in any recipe.

I used 3/4 cup Agave, 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, lemon zest and lemon juice to make three jars of jam, using the food processor to mix all the ingredients and get the strawberries to a good consistency. After everything was combined, I brought to a boil and simmered for about 45 minutes.










I ended up with three jars of strawberry jam. This will be great to use with Angel Food cake to make strawberry shortcake. And to spread on English muffins or toasted bread. I plan to use the Agave nectar throughout the summer, instead of sugar, to make jams as different fruits come into season.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment