home meet the chef Services and Pricing Sample Menus blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pickled Peaches




I've been doing a lot of canning last week and this week. This is one of many posts about all the wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables that have come my way lately.


On Sunday, I went with my Aunt Tootsie to a peach orchard in Hollanville, Georgia, Griggs Orchards. Hollanville, Georgia is in Pike County, about 60 miles south of Atlanta. My aunt has been going here for years and knew how to get there....thank goodness. It was a lovely drive on country roads and we had homemade peach ice cream at the farm stand when we got there. It was a great treat on such a hot day!

These are the clingstone variety. Later on the cling free peaches will be ready. Those will be perfect for making peach jam. I bought a large basket of peaches, about 60 or so. This is a small portion of what I got.










On Monday I made pickled peaches. They are seasoned with fresh ginger, cinnamon sticks and cloves. These will be a welcome treat around Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I think I'll have to break into them long before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment